CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Don't cry because it's over...

...smile because it happened.

The books have all been put away in a dark, musty bookroom. The desks have been cleaned and stacked on one side of the room. The walls have returned to their sparse, unadorned existence. Yet another school year has come to a close.

This year we grew into a family of lifelong learners. We became authors, studied the effects of magnetism, and generated our own algorithms. We learned to read as writers and write as readers. We laughed together, played together, and experienced our first earthquake. We grew to love each other. We were a family--"Mrs. Stark and her babies."

When I went on maternity leave, my 19 second graders were little troopers. They welcomed their new teacher into their world and accepted her from the beginning. While I was away, they prepared to become third graders with the help of Mrs. O. They met their AR goals and celebrated their accomplishments. They learned all about animals, making inferences, and multiplication. They continued to learn, laugh, and grow. They were a family--"Mrs. O and her babies."

When I visited, they were excited to see me and my new baby.

We hugged.

We laughed.

We cried.

We loved.

They accidentally called me Mrs. O.

OUCH.

I felt like a mom being called by the babysitter's name.

This year has come to an end. In a few short months I'll have another classroom full of strangers who will eventually become my "babies." We will learn together, laugh together, play together. But for now, I will look back fondly on the memories I have from this past year and I won't cry because it's over, but I will smile because it happened.


No comments: