CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Fight for Preemies

"Every year, 20 million babies are born too soon, too small and very sick--half a million of them in the United States. November 17 is when we fight." *


This month is Prematurity Awareness Month and today, November 17, is Fight for Preemies Day.

This issue is very close to my heart because my dear Genevieve was born 5 1/2 weeks too soon. We didn't have any advanced warning that she was going to arrive early; and to this day we still don't quite understand why she was born early.

I was very unprepared when it came to being a mom to a preemie. In all of my pregnancy books, there was an obligatory "Premature Birth" chapter, but I just knew that my child would not be a preemie. No sir, not my child. So what did I do? I skipped those chapters, of course!

However, in the first nine days of Genevieve's life I learned more about prematurity that I ever cared to learn. I watched her monitors like a hawk. I knew what every number on that machine meant. I knew what the alarms sounded like. I began to learn the difference between an ok-alarm and a not-so-ok-alarm. I watched as my daughter had apnea episodes in which she briefly stopped breathing. I watched as my daughter had bradycardia episodes in which her heart rate dropped. I watched as my daughter's lips turned blue for a brief moment.

I watched and I learned.

We are very blessed that after only nine days in the hospital Genevieve was able to come home. And after one month she was able to come off of her breathing and heart rate monitor. However, we are painfully aware that many families are not blessed with such a happy story.

The March of Dimes is committed to saving babies from premature births by funding research to find the causes. Premature birth is a crisis in our country and we need to come together to help these babies. Please consider making a donation to The March of Dimes in Genevieve's name.

On this day, November 17th, we fight for preemies--because they shouldn't have to.

Click here to donate in Genevieve's name.


No comments: